Tuesday, May 6, 2008

NO We Can! NO We Can!

When I was growing up, first paying attention to the nba, there was one narrative that really defined the playoffs. Spurs vs. Lakers. Good vs. Evil.

I hated the Lakers, those smug, 3-peating assholes, and I loved the Spurs, because- even if they were boring or whatever- they were always our best chance to stop L.A.

When the Spurs beat the Lakers in 2003, the first playoffs I followed passionately, it was one of the first big sports thrills of my life. The Spurs earned my love and loyalty for years afterward.

Years later, we're facing the possibility of another Spurs-Lakers conference finals. But it's not so black and white anymore. the Lakers still suck, but, in the past year, I've come to realize that the dreary, heartlessly efficient Spurs kinda suck too. And if it comes down to those two teams, it feels like just a lesser-of-two-evils choice in my heart.

so it is with the Republicans and the Clintons.

But there's another team offering a fresh taste of Hope for all of us... the New Orleans Hornets.

A young team with extraordinary talent, with the athletic and creative intangibles necessary to bamboozle the old-school Spurs. A compelling, truly cheer-worthy alternative to Lakers-Spurs hegemony.


As of this writing, the Hornets have taken a shockingly easy 2-0 lead on the Spurs. We're approaching Super Tuesday, maybe around the corner from the February stampede- I won't feel safe until it's a 3-0 lead, but I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

NO We Can! NO We Can!

(PS- north carolina and indiana tonight. when are we gonna close this shit out? hillary's down 3-1 and losing game 5 by double digits in the fourth quarter. keep hitting those free throws barack!)

No comments: